Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693...

I absolutely LOVE apple pie, and as I said in my first blog I was determined to make one. So for my last recipe that I am going to blog about, I will teach you how to make an apple pie. My mom called up her friend who has made pies before and we got some tips from her along with the recipe for the crust. For the crust, combine 2 cups of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Make a "well" in the middle of the bowl as a spot to pour in the liquid ingredients. For the liquid ingredients, measure 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 1/4 cup of milk into a measuring cup. Mix it while it is still in the measuring cup and then pour it into the "well" we have created. Then you slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. This part is kinda tricky but compared to other crust recipes you can't really mess it up. Eventually you will get a ball of dough that should be rolled out in between two pieces of wax paper.



Then you place your big circle of dough in the pie pan, cutting off the excess that hangs over on the edge. For the filling I used Ida Red apples which are good for cooking. Peel and slice 2 pounds of apples (6 cups) and place in a bowl. In the future I would have put in 3 pounds of apples because we made a deep dish pie so it could have used more apples. This was my first time ever peeling an apple so I was very scared that I was going to cut myself! Good thing our knives were somewhat dull. I did an ok job, but with practice I will get better!

In a separate bowl mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 2 T. flour. The filling turned out pretty runny so in the future I would add about 1/4 of flour. Pour this mixture onto the apples and mix well. Next pour the apples on top of the crust. It should look like this:

For the topping I decided to make a crumble top because I think those taste better. Originally I wanted to do a criss-crossed top, but my mom said that it would be too much work. I agreed. The topping calls for 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 flour, 1/2 teas. cinnamon, 1/4 teas. all spice, and 1/4 cup butter. The butter needs to be cut up in cubes and covered with the mixture before mixing it all together or else the butter will stick together. To mix in the butter you can use a pastry cutter and just press and twist.

Sprinkle on the crumble top and it goes in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. As always, your food looks fantastic. I love how you've been giving instructions about how to make the food in your blog. Keep up the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to come to your blog this summer and use your detailed plans to cook my family some good eats. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete